Family pictures, memories, landscapes and scenes from the everyday life constitute the portrait of an attitude and a way of life.
The portrait of a generation where marriage was “until death do us apart”, and a time of misery and oppression marked by the Spanish Civil War. The portrait of man and woman, father, mother and son, their worries, dreams, disappointments, experiences and feelings. The portrait of identity, origin, memory and a life like a puzzle that need’s solving.
Sometimes a confusing portrait, almost blurred, like memories. A portrait where facial expressions question the past, present and future, on the debate of life itself.
We go round and round again but questions remain: who are we and why are we like this?
Country: Spain / Portugal
Duration: 83 ‘
Black & White: 16 mm
Subtitles: English, Portuguese
Original version: Spanish
Direction and Screenplay: Carlos Ruiz
Producer: Carlos Ruiz
Cinematography Director: Carlos Ruiz
Editing: Carlos Ruiz
Sound: Carlos Ruiz
Music: Fernando Leandro and Carlos Ruiz
Final sound mix: Vasco Carvalho
Ana Carmona Carrillo
Rafael Ruiz Guillén
Carlos Ruiz Carmona
More about the film
- Award City of Madrid Madrid for Best Spanish Feature Film At the International documentary Festival of Madrid May 2005.
- Special Mention at the International documentary Festival of Tui. Pontevedra. Espanha. March 2006.
- Best Director at International Cinema Festival Braga Cine. Braga. Portugal.
- In 2009 e 2010, Retrato/Portrait was distributed internationally by the Miguel Cervantes Institute. The program included exhibitions in Moscow, Mexico, Xangai, Estocolm, Pekin, Rome eand Casablanca. in 2013, it was selected and exhibited internationally by Eurochannel in Europ, Asia and America.
- Cinema: Shown in Rivoli (Porto), Cineclube de Braga (Braga), Museum of contemporary art in León (Espanha), Center of contemporary art in Pekin (China), Cinemateque of Tânger (Marroco), LSE Spanish in Motion, II Edition Family and Memory: “Documentary Films from around the Hispanic World” (UK).
- Television in Portugal: Canal 180 (4 exhibitions between 2012 e 2013).
- World Premier: International Documentary film festival of Taiwan. December 2004
- International Premier: International Documentary film festival of Madrid – Documenta Madrid. May 2005.
- National Premier: International Documentary film festival of Lisboa DocsLisboa. Portugal. October 2005.
- International film festival of Ankara. Turkey. May 2005
- International Documentary film festival of Roma. Italy. June 2005
- International Documentary film festival of Cádiz. Spain. June 2005
- International Independent film festival of Braga – Braga Cine. Portugal. November 2005
- International Documentary film festival of Helsinski. Finland. January 2006
- International Documentary film festival of Tui. Pontevedra. Spain. March 2006.
- International Documentary film festival of Sur. Docusur. Canary Islands. Spain. October 2006
- International film festival of Mexico (26 FMX). Mexico. August 2010
- International Independent film festival Il Kino (RIFF). Roma. Março 2012